MiRo Software Suite
Copyright (C) 2023 Consequential Robotics Ltd
END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THIS LICENSE CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS SOFTWARE.
Herein, "The Software" is taken to mean all materials supplied as part of or in association with the MiRo robot, the MiRo Developer Kit (MDK), MiRoCODE, MiRoapp, or any other part of the MiRo product collection, except as explicitly excluded. This includes all software installed on a MiRo robot at the time of supply to the end user, any additional software (including supplementary software and software updates) supplied to the end user in connection with their use of the MiRo product collection, and any other products and services supplied to the user in association with their use of any of these products, including non-software elements such as documentation, and including web-delivered elements that are not installed on the user's computer. This excludes those third-party software elements that are listed below and for which licensing information is made explicit in separate sections below:
* Raspbian Linux system and installed packages
* STM32 embedded development libraries
By receiving, opening, and/or using any part of "The Software", you agree that this End User License Agreement (EULA) is a legally binding and valid contract and agree to be bound by it. You agree to abide by the intellectual property laws and all of the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
Unless you have a different license agreement signed by Consequential Robotics your use of "The Software" indicates your acceptance of this license agreement and warranty.
Subject to the terms of this Agreement, Consequential Robotics grants to you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable license, without right to sub-license, to use "The Software" in accordance with this Agreement and any other written agreement with Consequential Robotics. Consequential Robotics does not transfer the title of "The Software" to you; the license granted to you is not a sale. This agreement is a binding legal agreement between Consequential Robotics and the purchasers or users of "The Software".
If you do not agree to be bound by this agreement, remove "The Software" from your computer now and, if applicable, promptly return to Consequential Robotics by mail any copies of "The Software" and related documentation and packaging in your possession.
"The Software" and the license herein granted shall not be copied, shared, distributed, re-sold, offered for re-sale, transferred or sub-licensed in whole or in part except that you may make one copy for archive purposes only. For information about redistribution of "The Software" contact Consequential Robotics.
3. USER AGREEMENT
Your license to use "The Software" is limited to the number of licenses purchased by you. You shall not allow others to use, copy or evaluate copies of "The Software".
Use of the MiRo robot may pose unexpected hazards - for example, it is low to the ground and may be a trip hazard. Before any use of the MiRo robot you should, accordingly, perform your own risk assessment. You must read and understand the Owner's Guide before handling the robot and before completing the aforementioned risk assessment.
3.3 Use Restrictions
You shall use "The Software" in compliance with all applicable laws and not for any unlawful purpose. Without limiting the foregoing, use, display or distribution of "The Software" together with material that is pornographic, racist, vulgar, obscene, defamatory, libelous, abusive, promoting hatred, discriminating or displaying prejudice based on religion, ethnic heritage, race, sexual orientation or age is strictly prohibited.
The assignment, sublicense, networking, sale, or distribution of copies of "The Software" are strictly forbidden without the prior written consent of Consequential Robotics. It is a violation of this agreement to assign, sell, share, loan, rent, lease, borrow, network or transfer the use of "The Software". If any person other than yourself uses "The Software" registered in your name, regardless of whether it is at the same time or different times, then this agreement is being violated and you are responsible for that violation!
3.4 Copyright Restriction
This Software contains copyrighted material, trade secrets and other proprietary material. You shall not, and shall not attempt to, modify, reverse engineer, disassemble or decompile "The Software". Nor can you create any derivative works or other works that are based upon or derived from "The Software" in whole or in part.
Consequential Robotics's name, logo and graphics file that represents "The Software" shall not be used in any way to promote products developed with "The Software". Consequential Robotics retains sole and exclusive ownership of all right, title and interest in and to "The Software" and all Intellectual Property rights relating thereto.
Copyright law and international copyright treaty provisions protect all parts of "The Software", products and services. No program, code, part, image, audio sample, or text may be copied or used in any way by the user except as intended within the bounds of the single user program. All rights not expressly granted hereunder are reserved for Consequential Robotics.
3.5 Limitation of Responsibility
You will indemnify, hold harmless, and defend Consequential Robotics, its employees, agents and distributors against any and all claims, proceedings, demand and costs resulting from or in any way connected with your use of Consequential Robotics's Software.
In no event (including, without limitation, in the event of negligence) will Consequential Robotics, its employees, agents or distributors be liable for any consequential, incidental, indirect, special or punitive damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of profits, loss of use, business interruption, loss of information or data, or pecuniary loss), in connection with or arising out of or related to this Agreement, "The Software" or the use or inability to use "The Software" or the furnishing, performance or use of any other matters hereunder whether based upon contract, tort or any other theory including negligence.
Consequential Robotics's entire liability, without exception, is limited to the customers' reimbursement of the purchase price of "The Software" (maximum being the lesser of the amount paid by you and the suggested retail price as listed by Consequential Robotics ) in exchange for the return of the product, all copies, registration papers and manuals, and all materials that constitute a transfer of license from the customer back to Consequential Robotics.
Except as expressly stated in writing, Consequential Robotics makes no representation or warranties in respect of this Software and expressly excludes all other warranties, expressed or implied, oral or written, including, without limitation, any implied warranties of merchantable quality or fitness for a particular purpose.
3.7 Governing Law
This Agreement shall be governed by the law of the United Kingdom applicable therein. You hereby irrevocably attorn and submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of United Kingdom therefrom. If any provision shall be considered unlawful, void or otherwise unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severable from this License and not affect the validity and enforceability of any other provisions.
3.8 Commercial Use
"The Software" is not for commercial use: the use of "The Software", or any parts of "The Software", in a commercial product is not permitted.
Any failure to comply with the terms and conditions of this Agreement will result in automatic and immediate termination of this license. Upon termination of this license granted herein for any reason, you agree to immediately cease use of "The Software" and destroy all copies of "The Software" supplied under this Agreement. The financial obligations incurred by you shall survive the expiration or termination of this license.
4. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
Raspbian Linux system and installed packages
The MiRo robot ships with an installation of Raspbian Linux on the embedded Raspberry Pi computer which includes a set of installed software packages. This installation is licensed separately and provided to you without modification other than to configuration files in the usual way. On request, we will supply to customers a copy of the source code of those elements for which it is available (please note that these sources are available much more immediately via raspberrypi.org or by downloading direct to your Raspbian system using the command
apt-get source <package>).
Various licenses apply to the system and packages—to see the license information for individual installed packages, run the command
grep ^ /usr/share/doc/*/copyright on board the MiRo robot.
For the avoidance of doubt, the Raspberry Pi foundation do not endorse or promote any products of Consequential Robotics.
STM32 embedded development libraries
MiRo embedded software is built against libraries supplied by ST Microelectronics; these are licensed separately as detailed below. For the avoidance of doubt, ST Microelectronics do not endorse or promote any products of Consequential Robotics.
Copyright 2017 STMicroelectronics and licensed under STMicroelectronics "software_license_agreement_liberty_v2".
Copyright 2012 STMicroelectronics and licensed under STMicroelectronics "software_license_agreement_liberty_v2".
(Following license text obtained from http://www.st.com/software_license_agreement_liberty_v2 on 24 Jan 2019)
SLA0044 Rev5/February 2018
BY INSTALLING COPYING, DOWNLOADING, ACCESSING OR OTHERWISE USING THIS SOFTWARE OR ANY PART THEREOF (AND THE RELATED DOCUMENTATION) FROM STMICROELECTRONICS INTERNATIONAL N.V, SWISS BRANCH AND/OR ITS AFFILIATED COMPANIES (STMICROELECTRONICS), THE RECIPIENT, ON BEHALF OF HIMSELF OR HERSELF, OR ON BEHALF OF ANY ENTITY BY WHICH SUCH RECIPIENT IS EMPLOYED AND/OR ENGAGED AGREES TO BE BOUND BY THIS SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT.
Under STMicroelectronics' intellectual property rights, the redistribution, reproduction and use in source and binary forms of the software or any part thereof, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
1. Redistribution of source code (modified or not) must retain any copyright notice, this list of conditions and the disclaimer set forth below as items 10 and 11.
2. Redistributions in binary form, except as embedded into microcontroller or microprocessor device manufactured by or for STMicroelectronics or a software update for such device, must reproduce any copyright notice provided with the binary code, this list of conditions, and the disclaimer set forth below as items 10 and 11, in documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
3. Neither the name of STMicroelectronics nor the names of other contributors to this software may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software or part thereof without specific written permission.
4. This software or any part thereof, including modifications and/or derivative works of this software, must be used and execute solely and exclusively on or in combination with a microcontroller or microprocessor device manufactured by or for STMicroelectronics.
5. No use, reproduction or redistribution of this software partially or totally may be done in any manner that would subject this software to any Open Source Terms. "Open Source Terms" shall mean any open source license which requires as part of distribution of software that the source code of such software is distributed therewith or otherwise made available, or open source license that substantially complies with the Open Source definition specified at www.opensource.org and any other comparable open source license such as for example GNU General Public License (GPL), Eclipse Public License (EPL), Apache Software License, BSD license or MIT license.
6. STMicroelectronics has no obligation to provide any maintenance, support or updates for the software.
7. The software is and will remain the exclusive property of STMicroelectronics and its licensors. The recipient will not take any action that jeopardizes STMicroelectronics and its licensors' proprietary rights or acquire any rights in the software, except the limited rights specified hereunder.
8. The recipient shall comply with all applicable laws and regulations affecting the use of the software or any part thereof including any applicable export control law or regulation.
9. Redistribution and use of this software or any part thereof other than as permitted under this license is void and will automatically terminate your rights under this license.
10. THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY STMICROELECTRONICS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS, WHICH ARE DISCLAIMED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. IN NO EVENT SHALL STMICROELECTRONICS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
11. EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PERMITTED HEREUNDER, NO LICENSE OR OTHER RIGHTS, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, ARE GRANTED UNDER ANY PATENT OR OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS OF STMICROELECTRONICS OR ANY THIRD PARTY.
Some content in the MDK folder "share/media" is provided with permission by third parties. The licensing information for each item therein is provided in a text file named similarly to the item itself.
These third-party media files used in MiRoapp are mostly used under Creative Commons licenses; these files are as follows (see individual pages for specific license details):
These third-party media files used in the documentation are mostly used under Creative Commons licenses; these files are as follows (see individual pages for specific license details):
Saliency / priority computations in the biomimetic core owe something to the work of Itti, Koch, and Niebur, around their 1998 article "A Model of Saliency-Based Visual Attention for Rapid Scene Analysis". [link]
Decision making in the biomimetic core is based on the work of Gurney, Prescott and Redgrave (and others) on the Basal Ganglia and action selection. See "The basal ganglia: a vertebrate solution to the selection problem?" for a starting point to this work. [link]
Mammalian vocalisations in the biomimetic core are based on models developed by Professor Roger Moore at The University Of Sheffield. For a starting point on these models, see: Moore, R. K. (2016). "A real-time parametric general-purpose mammalian vocal synthesiser." In INTERSPEECH (pp. 2636-2640). San Francisco, CA. [link]